CFSEK is pleased to announce General Grant Funds totaling $150,000 have been awarded to 45 nonprofit organizations in Southeast Kansas. These grants, in 2022 alone, will impact 15 Southeast Kansas counties and 29 different communities.
The areas of Basic Human Needs, Youth Activities, and Arts & Culture are the focus of the CFSEK General Funds grant process. Proposals for projects in these focus areas were accepted during the month of June. Submissions were reviewed, and selections for funding were completed earlier this month.
Since 2004, the funds directly managed by CFSEK have provided hundreds of thousands of dollars, positively affecting the quality of life for Southeast Kansas residents.
The following organizations and projects were awarded funds from the General Funds grant process:
Table of Contents
Arts & Culture
Total awarded: $1,500
- Olive Street Presents, Ltd. will present two concerts at the Bicknell Family Center for the Arts in 2023.
Basic Human Needs
Total awarded: $59,400
- American Cancer Society Inc. offers free housing at the Kansas City Hope Lodge for cancer patients undergoing treatment at Kansas City hospitals.
- Caney Valley Agape Network, Inc. will provide emergency food and utilities assistance to families in need.
- Catholic Charities, Inc. provides assistance to families facing financial and housing issues that put them at risk of homelessness.
- City of Weir, KS will offer free meals for seniors.
- Coffeyville Regional Medical Center Foundation will purchase new wheelchairs to help transport patients within its facilities.
- Communities In Schools of Mid-America, Inc. offers basic-needs assistance to SEK students, including food, clothing, school supplies, personal items, and more.
- Community Food Pantry Fund will stock its shelves with groceries and toiletries to continue its food-pantry ministry in Girard.
- DBLO Association provides free beds and bedding for children in need throughout Southeast Kansas.
- First Baptist Church of Riverton Kansas will purchase food, paper products, toiletries, and school supplies to help Cherokee County families in need.
- First United Methodist Church Wesley House will purchase food and basic supplies to serve the homeless population of Crawford County.
- Humanity House Foundation will purchase food for its Iola pantry and repair or replace equipment at its community garden.
- Kansas Children’s Service League will purchase infant carriers for at-risk caregivers.
- Labette County Emergency Assistance Center will provide financial assistance towards utility bills for families unable to maintain service.
- Pregnancy and Family Center will implement Project SAFE (Safety Accident-Free Family Environment), providing access to infant-child-safety gates and grow-and-go car seats for families in Southeast Kansas.
- Resource Center for Independent Living, Inc. offers loans and gifts of durable medical equipment from its Iola office to individuals in need.
- Sacred Heart Parish Community Food Pantry will distribute turkeys and side dishes to families in need.
- Safehouse Crisis Center, Inc. will purchase gasoline for its clients, leaving more money available to cover basic necessities.
- SEK Women Helping Women will provide grants to be used for basic human needs, with a focus on general maintenance and repair.
- TFI Family Services, Inc. will provide support for foster youth and parents.
- The Salvation Army provides emergency rent and utility assistance for Crawford County families.
Total awarded: $79,100
- Boy Scouts of America Ozark Trails Council will host the Hooked on Scouting event.
- Chanute Public Library will provide kits containing books, library card applications, tips for parents, and other items to help encourage literacy among young children.
- Cherry Street Youth Center, Inc. will purchase new physical-education supplies and equipment.
- Children’s Advocacy Center, Inc. will host a Go Blue SEK Kick-Off Event to jump-start Child Abuse Prevention Month.
- Curious Minds Discovery Zone, Inc. will install a Rainbow Commercial “Play Village” in its backyard.
- Families and Children Together Inc. will create a wiffleball and kickball field at its nature preserve.
- Family Resource Center will purchase equipment and supplies to update its sensory room.
- First United Methodist Church – Wesley House will supply back-to-school shoes at the start of the 2022 school year and winter coats during the winter season to Crawford County kids.
- Horses of Hope Riding Center, Inc. will purchase a new fan to install in its arena ceiling.
- Jr. Dragons Youth League will offer scholarships to help USD 250 students who want to participate in Jr. Dragon activities.
- Kansas Big Brothers Big Sisters will host a “Big for a Day” event at Ol’ Yale Farms in October 2022.
- Live Well Crawford County will purchase youth bicycles in partnership with the Pittsburg Area Young Professionals’ annual bike drive and the Salvation Army of Pittsburg’s Christmas distribution program.
- SEK Interlocal 637 will purchase sensory equipment to help students regulate their emotions.
- Southwind Extension Education Foundation Inc. will purchase a trailer to transport and store shooting-sports equipment.
- Special Olympics Kansas will provide medals to athletes participating in its Southeast Kansas competitions.
- Spring River Mental Health and Wellness will purchase supplies for use in its summer and after-school psychosocial-rehabilitation groups.
- St. Patrick Catholic School will buy an interactive whiteboard for classroom use.
- The Restorative Justice Authority will train its staff to provide the CATCH My Breath vaping-prevention program to youth in grades 5-12.
- The Salvation Army will give bicycle helmets to the local youth who receive bicycles through its Christmas Assistance program.
- USD #250 – Launch will replace an abandoned warehouse in downtown Pittsburg with a green space for youth activities.
- USD 258 – Humboldt will purchase kitchen appliances as part of its Cooking in the Classroom project.
- Victory Life Church will provide backpacks and school supplies for children attending its annual Back2School event.
Total awarded: $10,000
- Girard Area Community Foundation: GACF youth activities granting
- Fort Scott Area Community Foundation: FSACF youth activities granting
The CFSEK Board of Trustees and staff congratulate all the 2022 grant recipients!
If you are interested in establishing a grantmaking fund with the CFSEK, please contact us!
Last updated August 4, 2022