Spring has been a busy time at the Community Foundation of Southeast Kansas (CFSEK)! Three funds have awarded 22 grants totaling $51,386.
Table of Contents
Get Busy Livin’ Foundation Grants
First up, we have the Get Busy Livin’ Foundation, which awards grants up to $500 to area organizations for projects and activities that support and promote Youth Volunteerism. This spring, the GBL Foundation gave a total of $4,361 to 10 organizations.
Women’s Giving Circle and Circle of Friends Grants
Also providing grants this spring, the Women’s Giving Circle and the Circle of Friends granted funds to 9 southeast Kansas organizations totaling $34,820. Part of the Rita J. Bicknell Women’s Health Fund, the mission of these giving circles is “to improve the health and well-being of women by supporting education, increasing awareness and sharing quality of life opportunities to benefit all women.”
Women’s Giving Circle 2019 Grant Recipients
- Angels Among Us Inc. – ‘Financial Assistance to Cancer Patients’ will support any and all financial needs of cancer patients in the southeast Kansas area throughout their treatment process.
- Community Health Center of SEK, Inc. – ‘Mammograms Save Lives’ will develop and launch a unique breast cancer screening campaign.
- Fostering Connections – ‘Healthy Family Bonds’ will provide mental health support to family members providing foster and adoptive care to children in the southeast Kansas area.
- Horses of Hope – ‘Mind, Body & Spirit Horse’ will use Equine Assisted Psychotherapy for adult females suffering with mental health issues.
- Pittsburg State University School of Nursing – ‘Pediatric Hal’, a pediatric patient simulator, will allow an increase in the number of nursing students in the maternal/child curriculum.
- Women’s Resource Center of SEK – ‘Window to the Womb’ will purchase an ultrasound machine probe for improved patient care.
Circle of Friends 2019 Grant Recipients
- Angels Among Us – “Financial Needs of Cancer Patients” is a long-provided service by Angels in the southeast Kansas region for prescription assistance, gas for treatment and appointments, utility assistance, equipment, to name a few.
- Fostering Connections – “Healthy Family Bonds” will provide mental health services to foster parents and other family members for increased family bonding.
- Southeast Kansas Special Education Interlocal 637 – “Adapted Physical Education” will provide adapted physical education equipment to be used by 3 special education programs at Pittsburg High School for more inclusive and frequent physical-education services.
Elm Acres Foundation Grants
Finally, the Elm Acres Foundation, Inc., provided grants to three local organizations in the total amount of $12,205. The purpose of the Elm Acres Foundation is to provide support for at-risk youth in the southeast-Kansas community (Crawford, Cherokee and Labette counties), including supporting any entities that provide services for at-risk youth.
Elm Acres Foundation 2019 Grant Recipients
- Family Resource Center – ‘Crawford County Diaper Stock’ project will receive funding to provide diapers and wipes to low income families with infants and toddlers in Crawford County.
- Fostering Connections – ‘Foster Children Activities’ grant funding will go toward education and support for foster and adoptive families and fun, educational activities for children in care.
- Special Olympics Kansas, Inc. – ‘Unified Bocce for Southeast Kansas’ will allow Bocce teams to be established in high schools across the southeast Kansas area allowing for adaptive physical involvement.
Congratulations, Grant Recipients!
The Community Foundation of Southeast Kansas along with The Get Busy Livin’ Foundation, Women’s Giving Circle, Circle of Friends, and the Elm Acres Foundation would like to congratulate the 2019 grant recipients. For a complete list of organizations that received grants this spring from these funds, please visit the For Grantseekers section of our website.
About the Community Foundation
Established as the Pittsburg Area Community Foundation in 2001, the Community Foundation of Southeast Kansas is a public non-profit Foundation. The Foundation serves the region by helping individuals, businesses and municipalities fulfill their charitable-giving goals in ways that benefit the common good and improve the quality of life. The Foundation inspires a passion for generosity in each community that we serve. If you would like to know more about the CFSEK, we invite you to explore our website in more detail or call (620) 231-8897.