Grantmaking is a large part of carrying out the mission of the Community Foundation of Southeast Kansas (CFSEK), and it has been since its establishment in 2001. Currently, CFSEK’s Grant Program provides six grant opportunities annually.
One of those grant processes is funded by the Elm Acres Foundation Endowment Fund. The purpose of the Elm Acres Foundation, Inc. is to provide “support for at-risk youth in the Southeast Kansas community (Crawford, Cherokee, and Labette counties), including supporting any entities that provide services for at-risk youth.”
The Elm Acres Foundation began their grantmaking through CFSEK in 2017 and has awarded over $121,000 to 46 nonprofit organizations in Cherokee, Crawford, and Labette counties. The 2022 Elm Acres Foundation grant awards went to the following seven local organizations for at-risk youth projects, totaling $24,158 this year alone:
- DBLO Association will purchase twin-size bed frames and mattresses to distribute to children in need.
- KVC Kansas will stock its foster-care closet with the items most commonly requested.
- USD #250 Pittsburg Community Schools will purchase items for PHS Club 209A, a food-and-resource closet for students.
- Communities in Schools of Mid-America‘s school support coordinators will provide food, clothing, school supplies, personal items, and more to students in Parsons and Pittsburg.
- Special Olympics Kansas will sponsor the Spread the Word campaign to promote inclusion in local schools.
- First Baptist Church Riverton will supply footwear and safety wear to low-income students entering vocational training or the workforce.
- Fostering Connections will provide new twin-size beds as needed when new foster placements arrive.
The Community Foundation of Southeast Kansas is pleased to be the host agency for this fund and is proud to assist them in the granting of awards on an annual basis.
On behalf of the Elm Acres Foundation, CFSEK congratulates the 2022 grant recipients and thanks them for their work with at-risk youth. If you have an interest in establishing a grantmaking fund, please contact CFSEK.
Last updated August 3, 2022