Our motto this year is “Never Press Pause.”
We challenge all of our GBL friends to take on the year at full speed ahead, recording every moment, being grateful along the way, and experiencing life at its fullest.
Table of Contents
2017 Youth Volunteerism Grants
The GBL proudly announces its second year of funding grants relating to Youth Volunteerism.
The following four grant recipients will receive matching funds to complete the following activities:
- Mission Trip to West Virginia: High school youth and sponsors from Our Lady of Lourdes, St. Mary’s Colgan will travel to help renovate homes in depressed areas of the Appalachian Mountains.
- Stuff the Bus is a community youth effort in Labette County which collects and distributes school supplies to students in need.
- Growing Growers, sponsored by the KSU Wildcat Extension District and C-TEC in Pittsburg will become a “hands on” lab for local students and community members to encourage and learn about the production of local foods and vegetables.
- Project Patient Satisfaction sponsored thru Via Christi/Mt. Carmel Foundation will support high school and college volunteers that donate their time to assist and comfort patients undergoing difficult medical conditions.
2017 GBL Foundation Scholarship Recipients
Additionally, the GBL Foundation wishes to announce our annual scholarship winners. This year’s six winners were selected from numerous applications submitted by well qualified students from our Crawford County High Schools. Each individual represents having a unique value of personal motivation with “no self-limitations.” They illustrate strong academic achievements, extracurricular participation, giving to others, leading by example and are role models among their peers.
This year’s winners:
- Lindsey Fox, Northeast High School *
- Kelli Cuthbertson, Girard High School
- Margaret Murray, Frontenac High School *
- Eric Wilson, Girard High School
- Trina Paul, Pittsburg High School *
- Lauren Eagon, Frontenac High School
Three of these individuals (*) will also serve as GBL representatives to a high school volunteer abroad program. Our students will travel abroad this summer with other high schoolers completing volunteer tasks in the Orosi Valley, Costa Rica.
Finally, our two football related scholarship awards go to Elijah Harris as the recipient of the Pittsburg High School Purple Dragons Senior Award, and the KPrep Dylan Meier Get Busy Livin’ Kansas Player of the Year award recipient is quarterback Will Schneider of Shawnee Mission North High School.
The GBL Foundation gratefully thanks all our friends and sponsors who have generously contributed to our “Never Press Pause” campaign and Foundation.