In 2007, the establishment of the Rita J. Bicknell Women’s Giving Circle was the philanthropic beginning for women helping women in Southeast Kansas. “To improve the health and well being of women by supporting education, increasing awareness, and sharing quality of life opportunities to benefit all women” is the mission of the Rita J. Bicknell (RJB) Women’s Health Fund. In 2012, the Circle of Friends giving circle grew out of the Women’s Giving Circle and today the RJB Women’s Health Fund is made up of the Women’s Giving Circle and the Circle of Friends. These giving circle memberships support area organizations through a granting process to promote their mission in southeast Kansas communities. Since its inception, the Rita J. Bicknell giving circles have generously given over $133,000 impacting areas of need in our community.
The Community Foundation of Southeast Kansas is pleased to be the host agency for the Rita J. Bicknell Women’s Health Fund, established in 2001. The Community Foundation of Southeast Kansas is a public non-profit Foundation. Specifically, the Foundation serves the region helping individuals, businesses and municipalities fulfill their charitable giving goals in ways that benefit the common good and improve the quality of life. The Fort Scott Area Community Foundation and the Girard Area Community Foundation are affiliates. The Foundation inspires a passion for generosity in each community that we serve. The Foundation is an affiliate of the Greater Kansas City Community Foundation.
The Rita J. Bicknell giving circles granted a total of $22,300 this year to worthy projects supporting women’s health throughout southeast Kansas. The Community Foundation of Southeast Kansas would like to congratulate the following 2017 grant recipients:
Table of Contents
Women’s Giving Circle 2017 Grant Recipients
- Angels Among Us Inc.: Financial Needs of cancer patients will assist cancer patients, primarily women, with various financial needs, wigs, turbans, air conditioners, fans, space heaters, etc., throughout their treatment process.
- Community Health Center of SEK, Inc.: Get Tested! Get Cured! Will provide screening to 150 ‘Baby Boomer’ women in Crawford and Cherokee counties for Hepatitis C.
- Hannah’s Promise Pregnancy Life Center: Transportation for Education, Employment, and Improved Health Services will go to the purchase of reliable transportation for the center.
- Mount Carmel Foundation: Women’s Clinic Experience Improvement Project is to purchase a state of the art Colposcope.
Circle of Friends 2017 Grant Recipients
- Pittsburg Mother to Mother Ministry: Love & Logic Early Childhood Parenting Made Fun will purchase a curriculum to teach Love & Logic and additional lending library resources.
- Women’s Resource Center of SEK: Educational Curriculum for Mothers’ Physical & Emotional Health to improve and increase resources for the Earn While You Learn program.