Update: Match Day 2021 is over! Thank you to all our donors for your generous contributions to this community-wide fundraising event! Read more about our results.
The Community Foundation of Southeast Kansas is hosting its sixth annual Match Day on November 30, 2021, National Giving Tuesday! CFSEK has a total of $47,000 to match community gifts to the endowed agency funds of many local nonprofit organizations. Each participating fund will receive a prorated match out of the match funds based on total donations received, up to 20% of the total match amount.
The match pool for this year includes $45,000 from the Community Foundation and $1,000 each from two generous couples’ donor-advised funds!
By participating in Match Day 2021, you will help support the participating organizations and the Southeast Kansas communities they serve for years to come!
Table of Contents
Match Day Basics
Since 2016, CFSEK has hosted Match Day every year on Giving Tuesday, the first Tuesday after Thanksgiving. Match Day is an exciting fundraising opportunity that gives participating nonprofits the chance to grow their endowed funds held with CFSEK. All Match Day donations and match amounts are placed in the nonprofits’ CFSEK endowed funds. Those funds are then invested to produce present and future income for distributions that can be used for those nonprofits’ operating expenses, programming, and special projects.
Since the first Match Day, the annual event has raised more than $750,000 for local nonprofits’ endowments. The community response to Match Day has always been phenomenal, and we look forward to that trend continuing in 2021!
How We Calculate Match Amounts
Each participating nonprofit’s endowed fund is entitled to 100% of the community contributions to that fund, plus a prorated match out of the $47,000 match pool. That is, each fund will receive a portion of the $47,000 match pool that is proportionate to the fund’s share of community donations on Match Day, subject to a 20% limit.
For example, if a nonprofit’s fund received 5% of the community’s Match Day donations, then it would receive 5% of the total match pool, or $2,350. If it received 25% of the community’s Match Day donations, then it would be limited to 20% of the total match pool ($9,400).
Organizations Participating in Match Day
This year’s Match Day is one for the record books already, as we have 31 endowed agency funds participating! This year’s participants are:
- Angels Among Us
- Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Big Brutus
- Catholic Charities
- Chicopee Foundation
- Children’s Advocacy Center
- Family Resource Center
- Food Security Fund (Wesley House)
- Franklin Community Park
- Friends of the SEK Symphony
- Frontenac Education Foundation
- Healthcare Access for All (CHC/SEK)
- Homer Cole Community Center
- J.L. Hutchinson League
- Knights of Columbus Endowment Fund
- Miners Hall Museum Foundation
- Mount Carmel Foundation
- Nightingale Endowment of the RJB Women’s Health Fund (PSU School of Nursing Simulation Hospital)
- Northeast USD #246 Education Foundation
- Pittsburg Family YMCA (Youth & Membership Programs)
- Pittsburg Mother to Mother Ministry
- Pittsburg Public Library Foundation
- PSU Foundation
- SEK Humane Society
- SEK Interlocal #637
- SEK Women Helping Women: A Fairy Godmother’s Fund
- St. Mary’s Colgan Catholic Schools
- The Lord’s Diner
- The Salvation Army (Senior Programs)
- United Way of SWMO & SEK
- USD 250 Educational Foundation
How You Can Get Involved
As always, the Community Foundation is offering several ways to donate on Match Day:
- Hand deliver your donation to our office by November 30. You can bring your donation and a completed Match Day donation form to our office in the basement of the Commerce Bank building in Pittsburg, 100 S. Broadway St., Suite 100.
- Donate online on November 30. The week of November 30, we’ll launch a special section at the top of our Donate page for Match Day donations. Simply select one or more participating funds you’d like to donate to and complete your donation on PayPal’s website. You’ll be able to donate through PayPal whether or not you have a PayPal account.
- Mail a check with a postmark of no later than December 1. You can mail your check to us at P.O. Box 1448, Pittsburg, KS 66762. Be sure to include a completed Match Day donation form so we can know which organizations you’d like your donation to benefit.
For donations by check, please make your check payable to the Community Foundation of Southeast Kansas. If you aren’t using a donation form with your check, simply write the organization name(s) in the memo line.
Questions? Contact Us!
Last updated November 1, 2022