The Rita J. Bicknell Women’s Health Fund (WHF) is furthering its support of women’s health initiatives in Southeast Kansas by awarding a total of $52,511.43 in grants in 2023. The Women’s Giving Circle awarded $46,711.43 to eight SEK nonprofit organizations. The Circle of Friends Giving Circle awarded four nonprofit organizations $5,800. All projects receiving funding are committed to carrying on the WHF mission, “To improve the health and well-being of women by supporting education, increasing awareness, and sharing quality of life opportunities to benefit all women.”
Table of Contents
About the Women’s Health Fund
In 2007, the establishment of the Rita J. Bicknell Women’s Giving Circle at the Community Foundation of Southeast Kansas (CFSEK) was a philanthropic beginning for women helping women in our area. Today, the Rita J. Bicknell Women’s Health Fund is made up of the Women’s Giving Circle, the Circle of Friends, and the Nightingale Endowment. Giving-circle memberships provide funding and direction for Women’s Health Fund grants. The Nightingale Endowment supports the Irene Ransom Bradley School of Nursing Simulation Hospital at Pittsburg State University. Since their inception, the giving circles have generously granted over $400,000 to improve women’s health throughout Southeast Kansas.
2023 Women’s Health Fund Grant Recipients
The Women’s Health Fund and the Community Foundation of Southeast Kansas congratulate the following 2023 grant recipients:
Women’s Giving Circle
- Coffeyville Regional Medical Center Foundation – Wellness for Women ‘24
- Community Health Center of Southeast Kansas – Keeping Baby in the Pink… Post Nursery Management of Newborns
- Fostering Connections – Teen Girls Aging Out of Foster Care Support
- Kansas Angels Among Us, Inc. – Providing Financial Assistance to Cancer Patients
- Kansas Big Brothers Big Sisters – Be-YOU-tiful
- Labette Health Foundation – SEK Fetal Heart Monitor Project
- Our Lady of Lourdes Parish/Saint Mary’s Colgan Catholic Schools – SMC Lifespan Development Course Materials
- Wildcat Extension Foundation – Kitchen Restore Starter Kits
Circle of Friends Giving Circle
- Cherokee County Health Department – Saving Lives, One Female at a Time
- Four County Mental Health Center, Inc. – My Family – Baby Booty Bucks
- Inspire Health Foundation, Inc. – Inspiring Women: A Health Career Day for Highschool Girls
- Special Olympics Kansas – Health Advocacy for Athletes
The Women’s Health Fund is proud to be able to contribute to the success of these organizations and their projects in support of women’s health and well-being in the SEK region.
The Community Foundation of Southeast Kansas is pleased to be the host agency for the Rita J. Bicknell Women’s Health Fund. CFSEK is a public nonprofit foundation that serves the region by helping donors fulfill their charitable-giving goals in ways that benefit the common good and improve the quality of life. The Fort Scott Area Community Foundation, the Girard Area Community Foundation, and the Columbus Area Community Foundation are CFSEK affiliates. Contact us to learn more about CFSEK or the Women’s Health Fund.